Friday, July 07, 2006

Friends We Didn't Even Know We Had . . . . . .

I got the sweetest email today from Cathy from Chicago, Ill. I started visiting "Lessons For Lou" about a month ago after getting the link from Michelle Meyers Website. I guess I was curious more than anything because my father's name was "Lou" and I fell in love with the entries Cathy wrote about her beloved Lou. Soon I started getting emails from Cathy and today even a picture. I learned Cathy had lost her father shortly before my own father and she too was best friends with her father and she too calls her mother who lives a long way away each and every night. I find myself delighted when an email comes in from Cathy especially knowing she has her hands busy with her family and her special Lou. Thanks for being my friend Cathy.

I have found a friend in Michelle Meyer through her caringbridge site for her beloved Dave. I barely knew Michelle when this was all happening to Michelle and then one day at work shortly after my father passed away an email came out telling us Dave had passed away and feel free to visit the website to get more details. I remember spending hours reading through Michelle's journal and I kept reading it on a daily basis and praying for her family. I feel very connected now to Michelle and when the first anniversary of my father's death came around I was away from my office and when I came back here was a wonderful card and a stone with the words "Hope" on it from my new friend Michelle. I feel priviledged when we meet and embrace no words have to be exchanged.

I met someone I knew as an acquaintance before through Michelle's website, Kathie Farrens. Now Kathie doesn't work too often in the bookstore and I wish she did. We find ourselves emailing often. I learned of Kathie's loss of her mother and father and Kathie's rememberances of my own parents when they lived in Walla Walla. It is wonderful to have Kathie's emails and prayers.

Connie Loomer as become as Michelle calls it "the one who is always there" I lost my father in May and Connie lost her mother in June. We have supported each other through this past year through sorrow and survival. When I need someone she is always there and when she needs someone I am there for her. I can't even describe in words what Connie has meant to me. I really believe and Connie believes it to that God brought us together.

Caringbridge has become my friend. It has given me the opportunity to pray for people I don't even know. So many have lost their spouses and children and it has been a priviledge and honor to grieve with them even if it is from a distance. I am so glad to support caringbridge families. It has helped my own grieving proces.

Life is full of surprises and these new friends have been some of the best surprises. Thank you all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue, WOW that is all I can say. Thank you for such nice words. CaringBridge has been such an experience for me. As you said Sue we have gotten to know people we may never meet. People we have a bond with. It is a wonderful feeling to pray for families and get such wonderful news as we got tonight about Nicholas. It seems Ashley is also headed in the right direction. Now all we can do is pray and ask God for his healing. God Bless You Sue.

Unknown said...

I am always astonished at the capacity of the human heart. In a world where our media is filled with crass jokes and mindless fodder and our news filled with disaster and destruction, I marvel that in truth, I am surrounded by people who truly care, who are willing to reach out and make a difference in the lives of others. My experience has been filled with generous caring people, like you, Sue...and others that you have mentioned like Kathie, Cathy, Dee, Claudia, Cheri...so many people. It's true, there are days I despair, there is so much sadness in our lives, so many losses, so much I do not understand, cannot comprehend. But this I do know. I am never alone, even in my darkest times, if I open my eyes and reach out my hand, someone will be there, someone will care. What an indescribable gift. Thank you for sharing about this experience so eloquently. God's blessings to you, my friend. I love you.

CB said...

Dear Sue,

Thank you for such kind words. It is amazing, isn't it, that we have found each other in this cyber world, two daughters who miss their daddies, two daughters who help their moms from afar...two daughters who are now friends, who have never met, but know that we are there, for each other. Two daughters who understand. Thank you my friend!
Cathy