Monday, July 10, 2006

Time For Another Walk Down Memory Lane . . . . .

This Friday, 7/14, my youngest daughter and I head to Sun City, AZ to visit my mother, my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter. This will be my second trip to visit and stay with my mom without my father being there. This trip like the last will be very emotional filled. The anticipation of the trip is always with mixed emotion. The first time I walk in the house after embracing my mother is a trip to the Arizona Room where my father's ashes lay on a table surrounded by photos, candles and angels. It really is a beautiful area my mother has created however, it is always an emotional visit. I would rather walk into the Arizona Room and be greeted by my best friend, my father. Most of the time I am at peace in the house because I feel his presence so strongly there. I enjoyed visiting so much when my father lived there. He created a beautiful house and yard there and we had so many good memories and times in that house. Even though I still love the house and enjoy the visits something is missing -- there is an emptiness -- a uncomplete visit. On the other hand when I am there I feel totally surrounded by his love and peace. This trip will be different, my youngest daughter Morgan will come with me. We had no service for my father when he passed away so Morgan and Tom didn't come to Arizona when he died, this will be the first time she won't have her "Grandpa Lou." I don't know how it will feel for her, I don't know what emotions will fill her heart and body. He has always been there when she stepped off the plane and he wrapped his arms around her. She loved him more than life and "Grandpa Lou" could never get his fill of either of his granddaughters.. So I come to you asking for prayers as I begin this journey on Friday. I am ever thankful that my friend Connie, who has grieved with me this year, will be the one that sends me off on the plane to begin yet another journey. . . . . . . . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue, you will have lots of prayers as you make this difficult trip. I know to well about these trips. The first time back after my father died was harder than I ever expected. When my mother passed away she had been in an adult home for a short time so we did not go back to her home after she was gone. We had done all that before. That made it a bit easier but it also was hard not having a place to go back to where mom or dad had been. There is no way death can be easy. Both my parents had semi lengthly illness in comparison to Gregs father who went to bed one Sun. night after a beautiful trip to the ocean with Greg's mother and his aunt and uncle. He did not wake up on Monday morning so there was no time to say goodby or to prepare. That in itself was good he did not suffer. My folks in turn suffered and so did the family but we had time to prepare and to say goodbys. It is never easy.
Know that we are here thinking of you and wishing for a very enjoyable fun time with your mom your daughter her husband and your grandaughter. The hard times are good in themselves as it is part of grieving but the fun times are the memories for the future.
Will look forward to hearing lots of good stories.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sue,
"We are each of angels with only one wing. And we can only
fly embracing each other." You are loved by me very much!! Hugs and prayers for
you and Morgan and your journey.
Connie