Wednesday, July 05, 2006

New Perspective --

Boy tonight was one of those moments that before my father died I would not have thought twice about. I call my mother who lives in Phoenix every night now since my father died. I don't know if I do that for her or if it is for me because I need to be reassured that she is still there by hearing her voice. Anyway, I called her several times yesterday and got no answer and because we had company till late didn't think twice about it. However, tonight I called and called and called and kept getting that busy signal. My heart raced thinking of all the horrible things that could happen and realized I had no phone number of neighbors. Tom said we need to call the police down there and have them go to the house and check on her and my heart sank even though I knew he was right. I emailed my brother in San Francisco hoping he had some answers but it seems he had been trying to call her with no luck and he was worried. In the mean time my mom calls from her cell phone and says "you don't call me any more?" Was I relieved to hear her voice. She didn't even realize her phone was out of service. Life gives you a new perspctive when you lose the "Protector of Your Family." He was everything to us but he always protected us and took care of us. I miss him always but I always knew he took care of my mother and now ...................

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, what a scare. I found myself holding my breath, worried, too, and so relieved when you heard from her. It must be tough to be so far away. One more situation that brings you face-to-face with all you've lost. Thinking of you, sinding lots of love and prayers.

CB said...

Sue, dear...
Welcome to the world of blog. Its good to get your thoughts out. I'm glad you are. We share this in common..I lost my dear dad Jan. 31 2005. I am the only girl and we were so very close. I, too, call my mom every day now...and there have been several times her phone is off the hook and she isn't aware of it! She lives five hours away, none of us is near her, I HATE IT, and cannot leave to be with her. They were married 59.5 years. It's so hard. I talk to my daddy daily, I see his smile, I hear his voice. It comforts me, really, and I know I will see him again. I miss him terribly tho.
Life isn't easy, is it? I hope we can meet someday...I WILL GET TO WALLA WALLA SOMEHOW!